This part of our site contains some facts and figures about the scope of our members' activities and their contribution to the UK's economy.
It also looks in more detail at the journey which starts with crude oil coming into the refinery, following its transformation into a variety of fuels, lubricants and by-products, storage and distribution and eventual delivery to the customer.
Some facts and figures
- Supply over 34% of the primary energy used by consumers in the UK
- Source close to 90% of the petroleum products sold in the UK
- Support employment for over 54,000 people either directly or indirectly
- Operate the UK's seven major crude oil refineries which rank amongst the largest
and most efficient in Western Europe
- Operate 1,500 miles of pipelines and around 50 storage & distribution terminals
- Own 2,177 of the UK's 8,608 service stations
- Sell about 130 million litres of petrol and diesel every day to around 5 million customers
- Sell just over £2.7 billion worth of convenience foods and goods every year
- Collect over £36.5 billion in duty and taxes on fuels each year on behalf of the Government
- Invested about £3.73 billion in refining, distribution and marketing fixed assets over the
period 2002 to 2007, much of which was aimed at reducing the environmental impact
of the industry's products and operations